Artificial Intelligence (AI) is growing rapidly in the world. The latest innovation in the field of ‘Machine Learning‘ and ‘Internet of Things‘ (IoT) is leading the demand of AI for today and tomorrow. As we know, Artificial Intelligence is about intelligence in machines, and it gives the machines the ability to think and understand. Companies and researchers are now aiming to put emotions in machines. But, is it really beneficial for humans to increase the use of AI? If so, what are the advantages of Artificial Intelligence for long periods of time? Are there any disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence? Read this article to understand the advantages and disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence?
So let’s move ahead for advantages and disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence. Start with its Advantages-
Advantages of Artificial Intelligence
- Very Less Error Rate: The possibility of error using Artificial Intelligence is much less than the work done by the human. This is the foremost among the advantages of Artificial Intelligence. Using the information already stored in AI and the use of algorithms, the decision will be easily made. An accurate programmed AI can provide amazing precision, accuracy, and speed while completing a given task.
- Quick action: Artificial intelligence can help to make decisions and work very fast. AI integrated brain of the machine can take quick action in most cases. AI algorithm enables machines to act quickly and work with amazing speed.
- Help in daily work: Are you already using Google Assistant? This is an example of Artificial Intelligence in machines. Apart from this, Siri which was developed for iOS, And likewise, Alexa, which provides you information and helps you to simplify your daily work is another example of Artificial Intelligence. The Alexa, which has been developed by Amazon, integrates your IoT devices and turns your home a ‘Smart Home‘. Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri use all AI and help you in your daily working routine.
- Work without brakes: We humans need rest after the duration of work. Because, after long work, we feel tired, and need to be relaxed. An interesting fact is that the machines do not feel tired. That simply means they don’t need any breaks. AI integrated machines would continue to work with the same accuracy and speed for a long time duration.
- Better Assistance: Unlike humans, AI-operated assistants make better decisions without being emotional and biased. Since they do not have emotions, they can work efficiently without keeping personal issues in mind. In addition, chat-bots are being designed to chat about problems and help humans with a solution.
- Reach beyond humans: Due to the risk, humans can’t reach in some places or circumstances. Examples of these situations are a fire in a place, important military locations and space projects. In such works, a robot can be programmed to complete the given task, and that is without any human interaction. Such a machine reaches those places and fulfills the work where there is a limit on reaching humans.
- Utility for society: We mentioned earlier about chat-bots. The chatbots will listen to human voice commands and translate it for the person who does not know that language but wants to talk. Another example is the self-driving car, without the driver, you can reach the desired location, and that too with, better road safety and no crashes.
- Future Innovation: ‘Google AI’ is researching to implement Artificial Intelligence for Healthcare and Biosciences. Recently, you may have heard about Google AI, which can detect diabetes by examining retina in depth. AI will determine various disorders in the human body. In the same way, its supportive technologies empower doctors to provide better services to patients. There would also be so many implementations in various fields where it can help us to perform better than ever.
We have learned about the advantages of Artificial Intelligence and knew, how it can be beneficial for humans. But can Artificial Intelligence has some disadvantages too? Yes, as every new technology has some pros and cons, similarly, AI may have as well. Read them below –
Disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence
- Too Expensive: One of the disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence is that construction of Artificial Intelligence can be a huge cost. Because AI-integrated machines are very complex. In addition, they also cost a lot in repair and maintenance. AI machines need to be constantly updated with changing technology.
- No Emotions: Humans are highly sensitive and emotional, and nature has given to us these qualities. But there are no emotions in Artificial Intelligence. It only works on programs and coding. Deciding in some circumstances is based on emotions, which can’t be done properly by AI.
- No Continuous self-development: We humans learn a lot from their childhood to maturity. This is what, the self-development which we get from our own experience. As we know, Artificial Intelligence is based on programming, that means nothing like experience here. The machines can perform new tasks only if we update its programs.
- No Innovation by Self: Humans have always been creative, this is a great gift given to us by nature, And this creativity is also the basis of the currently developing world. But can the machine do something new and creative with its own thinking? For the moment, no. Artificial Intelligence is yet to be built for Exciting Tasks. It helps us in many ways, but it’s not capable of innovations and creativity.
- Human replacement: Artificial Intelligence and the machine can help us a lot, and they can do things that are beyond the reach of humans. But will AI ever be replacing humans? Yes, it can also happen. Many of the fields, such as warehousing, an operation of heavy machinery, consultancy, etc. have already been replaced by the AI-powered machines. Here instead of humans, robots are now taking place. Self-driving cars will also have an example where no human will be required to run the car.
If you want to know in detail, What is Artificial Intelligence? Read another article
There may be many implementations of Artificial Intelligence in so many areas like medical, transportation, business, R & D etc. Using new technology and ‘Machine Learning‘, Artificial Intelligence can do miracles. There may be other benefits, which are not on the list. There is no limit of innovation in technology. It can also reach beyond human thought.